Enrollment Procedures

Somonauk Community Unit School

District No. 432

Parents new to the community may call the Administration Office at 815-498-2314 x 224 for information about where their child will attend school. Kindergarten pupils must be five years old on or before September 1st in the year for which they are enrolling.

Enrollment by Parent/Legal Guardian (all items must be provided)

  • Picture identification verifying identity of parent/legal guardian
  • Certified or registered birth certificate for the student (not a hospital-issued certificate)
  • Illinois State Board of Education Student Transfer Form
  • IHSA Residency Eligibility Form (high school students only)
  • Proof of immunization and physical examination, dental exam and vision exam (for new students and students transferring from out-of-state). Physical examination forms are available at the schools.

Physical examinations are required by state law for all students entering kindergarten, sixth and ninth grade. Dental Exams are required for all students entering kindergarten, second and sixth grade. Vision exams are required for all students entering kindergarten.

Non-Parent Seeking to Enroll a Student (if applicable)

  • Must complete and sign a “Evidence of Non-Parent’s Custody, Control, and Responsibility of a Student” form (7.60- E3)
  • Presents court order, agreement, judgment, or decree that awards or gives custody of the student to any person (including divorce decrees awarding custody to one or both parents)

Anyone with a Custody Order Seeking to Enroll a Student (if applicable)

Proof of Residency within the District (required for all students)

Category I (one document required)

  • Most recent property tax bill (homeowners)
  • Mortgage papers (homeowners)
  • Signed and dated lease (renters)
  • Letter of residence from landlord in lieu of lease (7.60-AP2,E1)
  • Letter of residence to be used when the person seeking to enroll a student is living with a District resident (7.60-AP2,E2)

Category II (two documents showing proper address are required)

  • Driver’s license
  • Vehicle registration
  • Voter registration
  • Most recent utility bill
  • Current public aid card
  • Current homeowners/renters insurance policy
  • Receipt for moving van/truck rental
  • Mail received at new residences

Military Personnel Enrolling a Student for the First Time in the District (Must provide one of the following within 60 days after the date of student’s initial enrollment)

  • Postmarked mail addressed to military personnel
  • Lease agreement for occupancy
  • Proof of ownership of residence


The School District reserves the right to evaluate the evidence presented, and merely presenting the items listed in this Procedure does not guarantee admission.

If a student is determined to be a nonresident of the District for whom tuition must be charged, the persons enrolling the student are liable for non-resident tuition from the date the student began attending a District school as a non-resident.

A person who knowingly enrolls or attempts to enroll in this School District on a tuition-free basis a student known by that person to be a nonresident of the district is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor, except in very limited situations as defined in State law (105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b(e).

A person who knowingly or willfully presents to the School District any false information regarding the residency of a student for the purpose of enabling that student to attend any school in that district without the payment of a nonresident tuition charge is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor (105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b(f).